1.03.2009

Supernatural Brownies

Supernatural Brownies

Did You Know? The brownie, also known as the Boston Brownie, traces all the way back to the 1800s. And although sources aren't clear on the exact date the first brownie recipe was published, they do know the recipe stemmed from a Boston-based cookbook.

The name says it all. My sister needed to bring a dessert to a dinner party she was attending, and of course she turned to me to create something for her. If it hadn't been for the fact that I had just received a KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer for Christmas, I might have told her to bake something herself. But I just had to use that new mixer again. It has made cooking and baking so much more fun, and it is just so pretty. Now I hope I can crack my parents into buying a Vita-Mix, they seem to be all the rage in the blogging world, and I desperately want to whip out some homemade nut butters. Until then...

Now, back to the brownies. My sister has always been a fan of the cakey brownie, while I, along with the rest of my family, enjoy a fudgy one. Since it was for her and all, I decided to make a cakey version. So Monday night, I cranked out a batch of Moosewood Fudge Brownies, that I saw on 101 Cookbooks. Yeah, yeah, fudge brownies. But all the comments revealed how cakey these were, and with 5 eggs, I knew fudgy was one thing these probably were not.


Supernatural Brownies

It turns out my intuition was right. These were the cakiest (?) brownies I have ever tasted. In fact, they sort of just tasted like little squares of rich chocolate cake. They didn't taste like brownies at all, but strangely, we all really enjoyed them (especially my sister). I wouldn't recommend baking these if you're really in the mood for a brownie, but if you're looking for a different spin on a classic, and you love the cakey texture, try these out. Fresh from the oven, they have a really nice bite, and the chocolate flavor slowly develops - it's really quite strange.

White & Brown Sugar

So because the brownies didn't turn out as I had hoped, I had to make another batch. The perfectionist in me wouldn't let me settle on the Moosewood version if people other than my family were expecting to eat a brownie. Here's where I turned to David Lebovitz for some inspiration. His post for Supernatural Brownies, is from the book "Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers," by Nick Malgieri, and it happens to be the best brownie I have ever eaten. It's fudgy, but still light enough for those cake lovers to enjoy as well. It's rich and flavorful, and the chocolate, oh that chocolate. How could you go wrong adding a bowlful of melted chocolate and butter. Trust me, you must bake these. Warm and wrapped with slowly melting vanilla ice cream, these brownies are dessert at its finest. So much for that "eat healthy" New Year's resolution. One brownie won't hurt, but good for you if you only need one.

Supernatural Brownie Making

Supernatural Brownies
2 sticks unsalted butter, each cut into thirds
8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (I used 4 ounces of each), broken into pieces
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
One 13x9x2-inch pan, buttered

Set the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

Combine the butter and chocolate in a heat proof bowl and microwave in intervals of 30 seconds or so, until melted (stir in between heatings).

Whisk eggs together in a large bowl, then whisk in the salt, sugars, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the flour.

Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, until top has formed a shiny crust. Cool in pan, or enjoy hot from the oven.

Cakey vs Fudgy

Now I'm guessing I don't have to tell you which is which, but just in case...the left is Moosewood (cakey) and the right is Supernatural (fudgy).


28 comments:

  1. HELL YES FOR FUDGY BROWNIES!! I'm glad that you too think that they're the best kind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm now I must make some Brownies, I tried that reciep too and it was great, I found it in an issue of Gourmet and there were two other Brownie recipes there that I wanted to try and compare but I have forgotten all about it, thanks Hayley for reminding me! And YES, fudgy Brownies are the best!

    ps the word verification is *spend*-must be a sign musn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. VeggieGirl: I'll have to try these out with carob, too - I know your chocolate aversion.

    Ilva: I've never had a problem with spending, and now I must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh you are so lucky to have a mixer, I wish I had one.
    I love the tops of these brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both brownies look delicious, but like the others I'm a super fan of the fudgies! I'll have to try out those Supernatural ones...they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You cannot go wrong with fudgy brownies, I'm drooling just thinking about them! I must make some asap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Supernatural Brownies were my go to Christmas treat recipe this year-I made over 200 of them. I don't even know how many of them I had to "test" because goodness, they are delicious and easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The supernatural brownies look incredible...I have been on a quest for the perfect brownie, and these look like they are just what I am looking for. I am going to try them out today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That Supernatural brownie looks so good-you can definitely tell just how gorgeously gooey it is from the mere sight of it. It looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hayley - thanks for the comment on my blog! I am a HUGE brownie fan. They're definitely my biggest weakness and/or my favorite treat. I'm all about the fudgy over cakey brownies - for sure the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i received the same present...mine is green and I heart it!!! here's to happy baking!

    i tagged you on my page with a New Years request!

    http://blondeappetit.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, fudge-y brownies are definitely the best. The middle of those brownies looks absolutely divine! YUM! And your photos are lovely to look at :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm all about the fudgy brownie, but I have to find a recipe that I really love. I may have to try these some time. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh yes, they look fudgy and delicious! i even love the name... "supernatural," so they must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeap, I love fudgy brownies. I've been craving for brownies and these look great! Have to try these one day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like both the caky and the fudgy and those photos have left me craving some brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet eating those would be a supernatural experience, all right! I am definitely a fudgy fan. . . with all the holiday excess, I may have to wait a bit to try some out, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, thank you, thank you! For ending my search for a from scratch brownie recipe that I like better than from a mix! I have tried several other recipes but they always turned out more like cake. I saw that this recipe had brown sugar and I thought. Hmm this just might work. I didn't have quite as much chocolate as the recipe called for but they were still Delish! I bet they would be fantastic as butterscotch brownies using 8oz of butterscotch syrup in place of the chocolate.
    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
  19. the photos look pretty good. i like the flaky looking tops!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great pics! I love the supernatural brownies! They are my "go to" brownie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, these look amazing. I love my standing mixer as well, and will take make any excuse to use it. Now your sister knows how to get baked things out of you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, these look so rich and decadent! I'd eat a whole batch myself. Keeping the recipe for further use :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. MMMM. Made these with my 4 year old today. Super easy and super delicious. Now I just need to make some neighborhood deliveries so I don't EAT THEM ALL MYSELF!!! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alisha: Good luck getting them out to all of your friends, they didn't last long enough in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i am in the cakey brownie camp myself (not that i'd turn the other down...) and my fiance is a fudgy brownie kinda guy. too bad for him that i do all the baking.

    great post...i mean two different brownies, come on now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my. Fudgey, rich brownies with a crackly top? Perfection, in my book! These look killer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, my. Must have those....

    ReplyDelete
  28. These Brownies look devilishly good! I love them when they are fudgy...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete


Back to Top