6.29.2013

Blueberry + Cucumber + Mint Super Smoothie


I'm a girl of habit. If I find something that works, I typically stick with it. Platforms are everything, yoga pants get me, coconut oil will change your life, and if my hair isn't in a top knot, you've caught me on an off day. I wish I could say those habits also included daily gym sessions, but for some reason I can't get that one to stick. I mean I'm no sloth. I'm good about getting some cardio in a few times a week, but I wish I could get a strength training routine down. I really just need to retire right about now-ish so I can live the quaintrelle lifestyle I was born to live. Working just gets in the way of everything I'd really love to be doing...waking up carefree, sipping a morning green juice, catching up on my favorite websites over my lemon tea, exercising my well rested body before taking down my usual breakfast smoothie...aaahhh the good life. Imagine waking up to a Saturday schedule everyday? I think I'd be really good at that. If I could just somehow transition from my current nanny status to stay-at-home wife/mom status I think I could realize my full potential.

"Hi. I'm Earth. Have we met?" Back to those habits. They most definitely include eating the same food day in, day out for months/years at a time. I go through food phases. I seriously don't get sick of anything (besides working). I know it's good to vary your diet and all, but honestly, when I come up with a new delicious meal, I look forward to eating it. every. day. You do you. I'll do me. And I'll throw in a multivitamin just to cover my bases.

Making smoothies has become somewhat of a routine for me. My sister thinks I've given up on solid food all together. I haven't. It's just an easy way to ensure I'm getting in the nutrients my body needs, and this blend is packed to the brim with all the good stuff. I've come up with some killer frozen drink combinations, but this one is pretty much how I start every day. If I'm fueling up before a workout, I usually top it with some raw chocolate granola. I use coconut water, but use whatever you like - regular old water works great too. I love adding mint to my smoothies, but if I'm all out, I'll throw in some cinnamon. I pretty much always add the blueberries, but I'll vary the cherry part with what I have in the freezer. Pineapple is another favorite. Half a banana is delicious. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries - all good. The coconut oil is a recent addition, but I find it really makes me feel more satisfied, not to mention how great it is for your overall health and wellbeing. After you measure some into your smoothie, slather some on your face, and get back to that housewife dreaming.

Blueberry + Cucumber + Mint Super Smoothie
If your blender is not very high-powered, try peeling your cucumber for a smoother drink
Makes 1 large smoothie

1 cup coconut water, almond milk, or liquid of choice 
1/2-3/4 cup frozen wild blueberries
1/2 cup frozen cherries
1/2 cucumber, unpeeled and diced
a few sprigs of mint
vanilla protein powder (I use this one)
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
2 cups spinach, packed
a few stalks of lacinato kale
1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)

Add everything to your blender and give it a whirl. Although I wish I could say I blend this up every morning with my Vitamix, unfortunately I'm still waiting on that one. I do use the Nutri-Bullet however, and love it. Really. It's a little on the small side, so typically I blend everything but the spinach, then jam in as much spinach as possible for round two of blending. It creates such a smooth drink, I imagine it being similar to the holy grail of blenders, just on a smaller scale. But if you're ever looking to surprise me with a gift, I'll gladly accept a Vitamix!

*BTW, I took the smoothie picture before adding in the spinach/kale. Greens have a way of muddying up the color of a lot of drinks. Sometimes the colors are so pretty, I refuse to add the greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top